CONQUERING TA LIEN SON
Ta Lien is called Co Trau (Buffalo’s neck) peak by the native Mong people, located in Tam Duong district, Lai Chau province. With an altitude of 2,996m, Ta Lien stands tall among the surrounding mountains. From the very first steps, you will enter a quiet space filled with the red color of the maple forest, to the very colorful changing season around October and November.
The adventure continues into a serene forest, characterized by dense vegetation, old trees as big as a few people’s hug, and tall trees that only allow limited sunlight to shine down to the green forest carpet; Old tree hollows big enough for 2 3 people to stand inside, with mossy vines wrapping around. In addition, camellias are also found scattered throughout the forest, tiny but pristine with typical fragrances. Rhododendrons also grow a lot on the peak, blooming in February and March in early spring.
- 22h30: Tour leader picks up the group at the bus office at My Dinh bus station
- 23h00: Get on a high-quality night sleeper bus to move to Sapa. The highway is very smooth, so those who are car sick shouldn’t be worried
- 05h00: Arrive at Sapa bus station. The leader leads the group to the breakfast place. This is where the team can attend to their personal hygiene, enjoy some breakfast and store unnecessary items
- 07h00: A 16-seat car shall pick up the group and move to the trekking point in Ta Leng commune. We will go through O Quy Ho pass – one of the four great mountain passes of the Northwest
(~60km away from Sapa, it takes more than 1 hour and 30 minutes to travel the pass)
- 08h30: Arrive at the commune center and take a motorbike taxi to the trekking point at the entrance of the forest (~7km)
- 09h30: Start the trek from the entrance of the forest. The path to the shack involves a beautiful old forest covered with maple leaves
- 12h00: Lunch along the way up the mountain
- 16h30: Arrive at the shack. Set up the fire and cook dinner in the cold of the jungle
Trekking time: ~6-7 hours with many slopes in dense forest
- 05h00: Wake up early to attend to personal hygiene and have breakfast
- 06h30: Start trekking to the top in the early sunlight shining through the forest canopy. The path continues up many steep slopes
- 10h00: Reach Ta Lien peak, where you can look over Lai Chau city on clear days
The group can take photos, have lunch and then go back down the old road
- 13h30: Pack up your items at the shack, then continue trekking down to the forest entrance by the old path
- 16h00: Arrive at the forest entrance, get on a motorbike taxi back to the center of the commune, then get on the car back to Sapa
- 17h30: Soak in the herbal bath of Red Dao people to restore health
- 19h00: Have dinner together with Sapa specialty salmon hot pot. After dinner, you can walk around Sapa town and shop for souvenirs
- 22h00: Get on the high-quality sleeper bus back to Hanoi
Time: 7~8 hours of trekking up and down (~13km). Continuous ramps, less dense forest
At 4:30 am the next morning, we will arrive in Hanoi. Travel Up would like to say goodbye to you and see you on the nearest trip!!!
(If you want to stay in Sapa before or after the tour, please notify the leader in advance for better arrangements)
TA LIEN: DIFFICULTY LEVEL · MODERATE
- Ta Lien: 2,996m high. Ta Leng – Lai Chau
- Duration: 2 days and 3 nights
- Trekking through 15km of mountainous and forest trails, the terrain involves many ancient old forests. There are lots of rhododendrons and maple leaves
- Sleeping in a shack at an altitude of 2500m
★ – INCLUDED SERVICES – ★
- Car traveling between Hanoi and Sapa (2-way)
- All meals for 2 days, including the last day’s hot pot
- Food that provides enough nutrients and energy for trekking members
- Dedicated water purifier.
- Drinking water: an 800ml water bottle to be given out from the beginning (Water is refillable on the trek)
- Porters who carry the group’s and your personal belongings
- Rooms to stay on the mountain.
- Travel Insurance (500,000,000 VND/person/case)
- Trekking equipment includes: Raincoat, gloves, trekking pole, 20L backpack, personal water bottle (to be collected back at the end of the tour)
- Souvenir medals
- Motorbike taxi if available
★ – SERVICES NOT INCLUDED IN THE TOUR – ★
- Tip for the tour guide and porters
- Other personal expenses
★ – WHAT YOU NEED TO PREPARE – ★
- A pair of trekking shoes (high-neck shoes are the best) that are comfortable, well-fitted, and have a non-slip outsole
- Clothes for 2 days and 1 nights on the mountain:
– 2 long pants (preferably quick-drying pants) and 1 long-sleeved jacket (preferably a thin windbreaker) to wear when trekking.
– 3-4 T-shirts
– Warm and thick coat for use in the evening while at the shack
– 1 super thin sweater or down jacket to wear to bed
– 1 pair of slippers for use at the shack
– Scarves: avoid wool scarves, we recommend the use of fabric scarves or bandanas as they are quick to dry in case of getting wet.
– 3-5 pairs of long, thick socks (do not use low-neck socks)
– Other personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries.
- Heating patches
- Personal medication
- Personal Identification