PAVIE TREKKING TOUR
The ancient stone road Pavie is the road connecting the two districts of Bat Xat (Lao Cai) and Phong Tho (Lai Chau), which existed before the 4D arterial highway running through the present O Quy Ho pass.
The construction of this road was initiated by the French in 1927 with the purpose of patrolling and minerals and cardamom transporting. Nearly 50,000 Mong and Dao people sweated and died during the 5-year period to complete 80 km of this paved trail. With the development of modern roads connecting the two provinces of Lao Cai – Lai Chau through O Quy Ho pass, the road is now gradually forgotten in the middle of the deep forest, with only about 30 km of stone road still existing to this day.
You will start the trek from Sang Ma Pho village, through the relatively unspoiled forest where the Pavie road is still preserved the most. Along the road, there are still traces of some graves of those who participated in the construction of Pavie. The stone road covered with moss, zigzagging through the forest will eventually bring the trekker to the old French airport at the foot of Nhiu Co San mountain, which is also the ending point of this heritage journey.
- 22h30: Tour leader picks up the group at the bus office at My Dinh bus station
- 23h00: Get on a high-quality night sleeper bus to move to Sapa, the highway is very smooth, so those who are car sick shouldn’t be worried
- 05h00: Arrive at Sapa bus station. The leader will guide the group to the breakfast place, where you can attend to your personal hygiene, enjoy some breakfast and store unnecessary items
- 07h00: A 16-seat car will pick up the group to move to the trek point. The group will pass through O Quy Ho pass – one of the four great passes of the Northwest – on the way
(~90 km away from Sapa, it may take >2 hours to travel the pass)
- 10h00: Arrive at the trek point at Sin Suoi Ho commune, allocating the group’s belongings and start trekking
- 12h00: Have lunch along the way
- 17h00: Arrive at the shack at Sang Ma Pho commune. Set up the fire and cook dinner
– Trekking time: ~ 7-8 hours. The path is not too steep
– Spend the night at the shack built by ethnic people with enough blankets and a toilet
- 06h00: The group wakes up for personal hygiene and has breakfast
- 07h30: Everyone picks up their stuff and continues trekking on the rocky road through the jungle
- 11h30: Enjoy lunch along the trekking route
- 15h00: Reach the old French airport at the foot of Nhiu Co San mountain. Camp overnight here.
– Trekking time: ~ 7-8 hours. Many steep slopes, walking in the dense forest
– Spend the night in the tents and sleeping bags prepared by Travel Up
- 06h00: Get up early to have breakfast, pack up and then go back Nhiu Co San route
- 11h00: Return to Nhiu Co San village. You can take a motorbike taxi from here to the center of the commune (~7 km away)
- 12h00: The group returns to the commune center. Get on the 16-seat car back to Sapa (60 km away, take about 2 hours traveling). Have lunch at Muong Hum, which is approximately 10 km away
- 16h00: Return to Sapa, collect your stuff, then get to soak in the herbal bath of the Dao people to regain strength
- 18h00: Last dinner party with Sapa salmon hot pot. After eating, you can walk around Sapa town and shop for souvenirs
- 22h00: gather at Sapa bus station, get on the sleeper bus back to Hanoi
We shall arrive in Hanoi at around 4:00 am the next morning. Travel Up would like to say goodbye and see you on the nearest trip!!
PAVI ANCIENT STONE ROAD: DIFFICULT LEVEL 5/10 – EASY
- Duration: 3 days and 4 nights
- Trekking through 32km of mountain trails with many forests and streams
- Trails and paved roads through old forests and ethnic villages
- Sleep in a shack at an altitude of 1800m
★ – INCLUDED SERVICES – ★
- Car to travel between Hanoi and Tram Tau (2-way)
- All meals for 3 days, including the last day’s hot pot
- Food that provides enough nutrients and energy for trekking members
- Dedicated water purifier
- Drinking water: an 800ml water bottle to be given out from the beginning (Water is refillable on the trek)
- Porters who carry your group’s and personal belongings
- Rooms to stay on the mountain
- Travel Insurance (500,000,000 VND/person/case)
- Trekking equipment includes:
– Raincoats, gloves, snacks
– Trekking pole, 20L backpack, personal water bottle (to be collected back at the end of the tour)
- Souvenir medals
- Motorbike taxi if available
★ – SERVICES NOT INCLUDED IN THE TOUR – ★
- Tip for the tour guide and porters
- Other personal expenses
★ – WHAT YOU NEED TO PREPARE – ★
- A pair of trekking shoes (high-neck shoes are the best) that are comfortable, well-fitted, and have a non-slip outsole
- Clothes for 2 days and 1 nights on the mountain:
– 2 long pants (preferably quick-drying pants) and 1 long-sleeved jacket (preferably a thin windbreaker) to wear when trekking.
– 3-4 T-shirts
– Warm and thick coat for use in the evening while at the shack
– 1 super thin sweater or down jacket to wear to bed
– 1 pair of slippers for use at the shack
– Scarves: avoid wool scarves, we recommend the use of fabric scarves or bandanas as they are quick to dry in case of getting wet.
– 3-5 pairs of long, thick socks (do not use low-neck socks)
– Other personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries.
- Heating patches
- Personal medication
- Personal Identification